Pa. lawmaker accused of abusing colleague won’t seek re-election

State Rep. Nick Miccarelli, R-Delaware (AP, file)

State Rep. Nick Miccarelli, R-Delaware (AP, file)

Following abuse allegations by two women, Republican Pennsylvania state Rep. Nick Miccarelli has announced he won’t seek re-election.

One of those women is Luzerne County Rep. Tarah Toohil, who serves alongside Miccarelli as a House Republican. She has claimed he threatened to crash his car and kill them both and that he once held her by her neck against a wall in her state Capitol office.

The other woman, who has remained anonymous, said Miccarelli has raped her.

Last week, Toohil successfully got a three-year restraining order against Miccarelli. According to its conditions, included he had to give up all his personal weapons, and avoid contact with her, even while they’re both at work in the Capitol.

Concurrently, House Republican Leaders — who have called for Miccarelli to step down — reduced his security clearances.
In a report following an internal investigation, leaders told lawyers for both sides in the case that they found both women’s allegations “credible.”

Miccarelli has denied abusing either woman, and he repeated that denial in his latest statement, released Wednesday.

“I know this decision will be questioned by my many supporters and loyal constituents who have stood by me through some recent, trying times, but it’s in the best interests of me and my family to move on to the next chapter in our lives,” he wrote.

“My decision not to seek re-election should in no way be misconstrued by the public or misrepresented by the media as any admission of wrongdoing on my part. I intend to continue to work to clear my good name and reputation and put this current controversial situation behind me, once and for all.”

The Delaware County lawmaker had previously said he would seek re-election.

He indicated that along with his desire to move on from the scandal, his change of heart stems from a desire to let his party choose a new candidate for his 162nd Legislative District.

The district currently has one Democrat running, but no other Republican.

Because the state’s petition-filing deadline has passed, any replacement would have to run as a write-in candidate.

Miccarelli’s full statement

After much personal reflection and consultation with my family, staff and legislative colleagues, I have decided today to remove my name from the ballot for re-election to the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, effective immediately.

I am making this difficult decision at this time to afford my party the opportunity to designate a new Republican candidate to be placed on the ballot for the May 15 Primary Election.

I know this decision will be questioned by my many supporters and loyal constituents who have stood by me through some recent, trying times, but it’s in the best interests of me and my family to move on to the next chapter in our lives.

I love this country and Commonwealth and have honorably served both overseas in combat and will continue to answer the call of duty for both in the future. My decision not to seek re-election should in no way be misconstrued by the public or misrepresented by the media as any admission of wrongdoing on my part.

I intend to continue to work to clear my good name and reputation and put this current controversial situation behind me, once and for all. Finally, I thank the good people of the 162nd Legislative District for the honor of having been able to serve them for the past 10 years.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.