Wilmington residents march in wake of paralyzed man shot by police[video]

A rally was held in memory of 28-year-old Jeremy McDole, a wheelchair bound man shot and killed by Wilmington police.

Crowds could be heard chanting Friday afternoon “No Justice, No Peace,” during a march led by the victim’s sister, Keandra McDole.

“We haven’t got any answers for anything. Just basic answers like what is protocol when you get a suicidal call for any person, not a man in wheelchair, not my brother, what is protocol,” McDole said.

Community activists question whether or not this is a case of suicide or excessive force by police. While officials say an investigation is ongoing to get to bottom of it, the death of  Jeremy McDole isn’t sitting well with the community.

“He was shot 17 times. Has the mayor instituted a training program that works in conjunction with the recommendations of the commission report that says our police police are 9-1-1 orientated and when they get there, there’s no protocol? We would like the officers to be trained now,” said activist Tyrone Johnson.

Nearly a hundred people marched along with McDole’s sister, demanding an explanation as well.

“I want the community to see that we have to stick together, we are the people. If we want something done, we have to fight together,” McDole said.

Meanwhile, the police department hasn’t released much information regarding the Sept. 23rd shooting incident or the names of the officers involved.

According to officials, there were four Wilmington police officers involved in the shooting of McDole in his wheelchair. It happened on the 1800 Block of Tulip Street. Since the shooting, the officers have been placed on administrative duty.

Wilmington police have said McDole was armed with a .38 caliber weapon. A caller to 9-1-1 that day said McDole shot himself. Keandra McDole disputes that claim.

“He’s not what the city of Wilmington is trying to make him out to be. The way that they murdered my brother, it’s unjust,” McDole said.

The Wilmington Police Department and the Delaware Dept. of Justice’s Office of Civil Rights and Public Trust are currently investigating.

Mayor Dennis Williams expressed support for the McDole’s right to march. According to his office, coordinators of the march worked with city officials to complete the necessary application and received the proper permits for the event.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal