An after-school program for children in low-income families in New Jersey that was set to close Monday will continue to operate.
The “New Jersey After 3” program provides grants to non-profit organizations throughout the state to offer tutoring and other activities between 3 and 6 p.m.
After 3 officials said last week they were not able to attract enough private money to keep the program going after funding was eliminated from the state budget.
Monday, Gov. Chris Christie said After 3 will continue with the help of the state Education Department.
In the state’s No Child Left Behind waiver, Education Commissioner Christopher Cerf “is asking for permission to use Title 1 funds that are right now being used for after-school programs that he considered to be less effective.”
Christie says that new approach should help attract additional private funds for After 3 to meet its needs. He also said it illustrates the kind of public-private partnership New Jersey should initiate in tough economic times.