Made in America will stay on the Ben Franklin Parkway after all.
That’s according to a joint statement released by Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney’s office Monday afternoon following his meeting with officials from Roc Nation, the entertainment company founded by rapper Jay-Z that puts on the festival over Labor Day weekend.
It comes a week after BillyPenn.com broke the news of the city’s decision to move the event off the Parkway after this year. That news apparently came as a surprise to Roc Nation and Jay-Z, who sounded off on the decision in an op-ed on Philly.com.
The move was prompted by a report from the Parkway Council and the city managing director’s office, which recommended hosting fewer events that draw large crowds, require significant setup, breakdown and security, as well as disrupt the surrounding neighborhoods by shutting down traffic.
Last week, amid the backlash from Jay-Z and others in the music industry, Kenney promised to work with Roc Nation to find another site for in the city.
But now, Kenney said, Made in America will remain on the Parkway as it has since 2012.
In the joint statement released Monday, both parties agreed to work together to address the “operational and community challenges associated with this large-scale event.”
“The Made in America festival belongs in Philadelphia – the birthplace of our country – and I’m optimistic that we can turn an unfortunate misunderstanding into a positive outcome and even stronger event,” Kenney said. “I look forward to working with Roc Nation and Live Nation, and maintaining this Philadelphia tradition for years to come.”
“After a candid and constructive discussion with the mayor, we are confident any miscommunication is corrected, and we are proactively addressing any concerns,” said Roc Nation COO Desiree Perez. “We are committed to bringing the best experience possible to Philadelphians and all music lovers as well as the continuing prosperity of the city.”