The risk of catching the flu continues into spring, according to Delaware’s Division of Public Health, following three new flu-related deaths in the state.
The Sussex County man and two Kent County women were between the ages of 80 and 99 with underlying health conditions.
There have been 8,182 confirmed flu cases and 34 flu-related deaths as of March 31. DPH numbers show flu-related deaths have surpassed the 2014 to 2015 season record, when 28 residents died.
Overall, flu cases are on the decline for the season. There were 216 diagnoses last week, compared to 1,521 during one week in February.
However, DPH said Delawareans should still take precautions to prevent the spread of the flu.
“This flu season has been incredibly harsh both nationally and here at home,” said DPH Director Dr. Karyl Rattay in a statement.
“We can’t express enough condolences to the families who have lost a loved one due to the flu. After the winter months, some may have the tendency to think the flu is no longer a threat, but flu germs can circulate well into the summer, so we should all continue to take preventive measures against influenza, particularly social distancing.”
DPH urges residents who are sick to stay home until fever-free for at least 24 hours without fever-reducing medication. The department also encourages individuals to wash their hands frequently, and sneeze or cough into a tissue, or inner elbow if one isn’t available.
As soon as symptoms arise, individuals should consult a doctor, DPH said. Those with severe symptoms, such as trouble breathing, bluish skin color, fever with a rash, dizziness, or severe or persistent vomiting should seek immediate medical help, the department warns.