Bug-spray filled home explodes, cockroaches survive

(Courtesy of Asbury Park Fire Department)

(Courtesy of Asbury Park Fire Department)

A roach-infested apartment exploded in New Jersey after fumes from bug-killing spray built up and combusted, sending two adults and a young child to the hospital.

A spokesman for the Asbury Park fire department tells the Asbury Park Press the explosion happened around 10 p.m. Wednesday after an occupant was spraying insecticide, got a headache and opened a window.

Garrett Giberson said the oxygen from outside combined with the fumes and a stove’s pilot light to cause the explosion.

The blast blew out the first-floor apartment’s windows, bent the front door and damaged the kitchen.

He said the two adults and child are lucky they weren’t seriously injured.

Giberson said the home was still crawling with cockroaches when he arrived.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.