A 50-year-old New Castle County man has the state’s first confirmed case of H1N1 of the year.
The man’s illness was diagnosed as H1N1 on November 16. The man is now recovering at home.
Director of the Delaware Division of Public Health Dr. Karyl Rattay says the confirmation of H1N1’s return to Delaware should serve as a warning to state residents to get vaccinated. “If you are vaccinated, you’re ensuring that you won’t get sick, and you won’t spread disease to others, including your loved ones,” she said. “Unvaccinated, you run the risk of becoming infected.”
This year’s seasonal flu vaccine protects against three strains of flu likely to appear in Delaware this year, including the H1N1 virus. DPH is offering free flu shots at clinics in all three counties. Go to their website, flu.delaware.gov for the flu clinic schedule.
The H1N1 virus killed at least seven people in the first state last over the last year.