Workers smoking on Delaware school’s roof sparked fire

(photo via GoogleMaps)

(photo via GoogleMaps)

Authorities say workers who were smoking on a school’s roof were responsible for accidentally causing a fire while students were still inside.

 

Red Clay Consolidated School District spokeswoman Pati Nash says A.I. DuPont Middle School outside Wilmington was safely evacuated Wednesday afternoon.

Responding crews were able to extinguish the fire in about 30 minutes and no one was injured. Assistant State Fire Marshal Alan Brown says the fire was caused by smoking material left by workers on the roof.

Nash says about $10,000 in damage to the roof was being repaired immediately after the fire. There was no interior damage.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Help us get to 100% of our membership goal to support the reporters covering our region, the producers bringing you great local programs and the educators who teach all our children.