Several students, staffers sickened at NJ school

More than a dozen students at a southern New Jersey high school and some staffers were taken to hospitals after they were overcome by fumes in the building.

It’s not clear what caused the problem Wednesday at Paulsboro High School. But officials were trying to determine if the fumes were caused by a neighboring refinery that has been dealing with odor issues this week.

Paulsboro police say about 16 students and two teachers were being treated, but their injuries were not believed to be serious.

The high school closed early due to the ongoing situation.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.