At one time Wayne Junction Station, built in 1881, was a stop for trains headed as far West as Chicago, St. Louis and Los Angeles. More recently, though, years of wear had taken a heavy toll on the station’s stately presence. Now, thanks to ongoing renovations, the historic station is regaining back some of its character.
SEPTA began renovations in late 2012, and in December, they opened the overhauled Germantown Head House.
The head house, which stands on the inbound platform at the Germantown Avenue entrance, had its roof tiles replaced with new terra cotta tiles, in keeping with the original design. Its east wall was removed and rebuilt, and its west wall was repaired. The contractor was able to reuse most of the original decorative elements in the upper portion of the exterior head house walls after each piece was cleaned and restored.
The majority of the new platforms on both the inbound and outbound sides of the station are also open. Stairs at the Germantown Ave entrances to both platforms have been renovated and are open as well.
Work on the station building is underway, as is some remaining platform work. New elevators will be installed at the station building end of the platforms. Repairs are still outsanding on the baggage tunnel, passenger tunnel and Windrim Ave stairs.