Pennsylvania School for the Deaf honored at Council meeting

An excited group of students, teachers, administrators and alumni from the Pennsylvania School for the Deaf took center stage at Thursday’s City Council meeting to accept a resolution honoring the Germantown institution’s 192nd birthday.

Among the group on hand to accept the honor from Eighth District City Councilwoman Cindy Bass were Head of School Marja Brandon, alumnus/trustee James Goodwin and alumnus Marsha Miceli.

Bass described the school, at which more than 225 students between the ages of 3 and 21 receive “critically important” lessons and services, as “something extraordinary” in Germantown (PDF of the resolution).

The nation’s third oldest school for the deaf was founded in 1820 at 11th and Market streets. PSD moved to its current West School House Lane location in 1984.

The head of school’s office once served as George Washington’s and, underground, the confines in which Revolutionary War prisoners were held are still in more than presentable shape.

Looking forward

Brandon noted that those involved with PSD are proud “not just because of our past, but because of our future.”

Goodwin noted that alumni like himself are “looking forward to the 200th anniversary in 2020” and Miceli signed her appreciation to those gathered in council chambers.

The students also signed their appreciation and applause after Council’s sign-language interpreter reversed roles by putting the speaker’s signs into audible words.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.