Getting rained out of your weekend at the Jersey shore? Here’s a very subjective list of the top 10 things to do when fun in the sun is not an option.
1. Visit the Paranormal Books and Curiosities & Paranormal Museum in Asbury Park
Who could turn down a store that carries ghost-hunting primers; books on parapsychology, cryptozoological research, and metaphysical subjects such as astral projection, reiki and past life regression — and paranormal fiction about ghosts, vampires, zombies and werewolves!
While you’re there, pick up the latest edition of Weird NJ.
2. Stay inside and play Scattergories
Sharpen those pencils and show off your vocabulary. Extra points if you can turn it into a drinking game.
3. Read a trashy novel
Here’s a helpful list of 40 you must read before you die.
4. Visit the Naval Air Station Wildwood Aviation Museum
It’s at the Cape May airport. The building itself is historic, having served as served as a dive-bomber squadron training facility during World War II. Pretty neat. Don’t believe us? These kids’ll tell you.
5. Take up whittling
And look like this guy!
6. Attempt to read a piece of literature. (Then go back to your trashy novel.)
We know you have something to choose from among the scads of books you’ve been holding on to since college … that you know you’ll get to some day.
7. Visit the Emlen Physick Estate
Get a feel for the Victorian high life of Cape May’s past.
8. Spend quality time with the family
9. Urban whitewater rafting
Blow up a raft and float down the rivers that form along the street curbs. (I have read about this, but never actually seen it happen.)
10. Visit the Ocean City Historical Museum
Explore the old days of the whaling town once knoiwn as Peck’s Point. You’ll never believe the things people wore to the beach 100 year ago.