Is your beloved car ready for retirement? It’s been good to you, so why not let it do one more benevolent act and benefit WHYY?
Your vehicle will be handled with care, the proceeds from its sale will support programs you love on WHYY and you’ll receive a tax deduction. It’s simple, fun, and free. Participants in the WHYY Vehicle Donation Program also receive a membership to WHYY and have access to all member benefits.
What are the benefits of donating my vehicle?
- When you donate a vehicle to WHYY, you help fund new and current programs. The WHYY Vehicle Donation Program tows away the vehicle free of charge and sells it in the used-car market. WHYY receives the resulting cash. You bypass the cost and hassle of repairing or selling a car you no longer want — and you get a tax deduction.
How do I donate a vehicle?
- It’s easy and fast. You may donate either online or by phone, 855-WHYY-CAR (855-9499-227). You provide the vehicle information (including the Vehicle Identification Number /VIN), personal contact information and title status. Then, you mail in the title. In Pennsylvania, a title is required and it must be signed and notarized. As soon as the WHYY Vehicle Donation Program receives the title, a tow service will call to arrange a convenient time and location to pick up the vehicle. You do not need to be present when your car is picked up.
How do I track the status of my vehicle?
- You’ll be kept informed every step of the way. When you’ve completed the donation steps online or by phone, you’ll receive an acknowledgement email from the WHYY Vehicle Donation’s vehicle recovery center, email@example.com. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book to ensure you receive their emails. When the vehicle is sold, you’ll get a receipt by mail along with the appropriate tax deduction form.
Is there any cost?
- No. There is no cost to vehicle donors or to WHYY.
Who handles the vehicles? Do you sell them yourselves?
- The WHYY Vehicle Donation Program operates this program on behalf of public broadcasting stations nationwide. It handles towing, assessment and sale of donated vehicles, as well as donor services.
Do you accept any vehicle, anywhere?
- You may donate cars, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, boats, airplanes, heavy equipment — even farm machinery! Any vehicle can be donated in any condition, running or not, virtually anywhere in the U.S.. Note: If you would like to donate a unique vehicle — such as an RV, boat or airplane — please call 855-WHYY-CAR (855-9499-227) so the WHYY Vehicle Donation Program experts can address any special issues. They’re available weekdays 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m., EST, and Saturday 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., EST.
How long until my vehicle is picked up?
- If you have a newer car (less than six years old) or a specialty car, it will be picked up within a day. If your vehicle is more than 10 years old or not running, it will be towed within about seven days after receipt of the title. If you need the car picked up right away, the WHYY Vehicle Donation Program is happy to oblige, whenever possible. Call 855-WHYY-CAR (855-9499-227) to arrange for an expedited pick up.
What will happen to my car?
- Your car is assessed for the used-car market that will yield the best sale price, joining some 43 million other cars that are re-sold each year. Most vehicles are sold through wholesale auctions; older, damaged and problem vehicles are often sold directly to dismantlers or recyclers for valuable parts and metals. Because the WHYY Vehicle Donation Program works with a very large national network of auction yards, it is able to match a wide variety of vehicles to the appropriate buyer. For example, it recently took a donor’s 1972 Porsche 911 to a premium car auction, where it netted five figures for a public radio station. Meanwhile, a donor’s 1991 GMC Jimmy turned into a welcome $110 for another station.
How do I get a tax deduction?
- You are entitled to deduct the sales price of your vehicle and, if it sells for less than $500, the fair market value of the vehicle up to $500, if you itemize your tax return. (See Tax Information.) When your donated car is sold, you’ll receive the appropriate sales receipt or IRS Form 1098C with the sales amount indicated on it.
What if I can’t find my title?
- If you can’t find your title or have problems with it, please call 855-WHYY-CAR (855-9499-227). The WHYY Vehicle Donation call-center staff are experts in solving these matters.
How much money goes to the station?
- About the same amount that an auto dealer will realize if it takes the car as a trade-in and converts it to cash. The actual costs of towing, auctioning, title transfer and handling are deducted and WHYY receives the net proceeds, which averages 60% of the gross sale price.
How do I check on the status of my car or get answers to other questions?
- Call the WHYY Vehicle Donation Program at 855-WHYY-CAR (855-9499-227) Monday thru Friday 8:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. EST, and Saturday 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. EST
Who operates the WHYY Vehicle Donation Program?
- Vehicle Donation to Any Charity, LLC (V-DAC), runs the Car Talk Vehicle Donation Program. V-DAC is registered as a ‘fund raising counsel’ with the State of California Office of the Attorney General. The program allows donors to make vehicle donations resulting in cash gifts to a designated public radio or television station, church, school or other non-profit organization.