Here’s a look at stories that NewsWorks will cover this upcoming week in Northwest Philadelphia …
1. It’s Thanksgiving week, so that means a slew of holiday related events throughout Northwest Philly. From a roundup of holiday-dinner events and details about the James Turrell Skyspace offerings to turkey giveaways and the Holidays on the Hill Festival kickoff in Chestnut Hill, we’ll have it all throughout the week.
2. Speaking of holiday events, Thursday will bring the second annual “Legacy Bowl” football-rivalry game between the Imhotep Panthers (who are fighting to get their way back into the state playoffs to win a championship that eluded them last year) and the MLK Cougars (who fell short of a Public League title repeat). Last year’s game was a doozy, in case you missed it.
3. On Sunday (as in today), the Philadelphia Marathon will wind its way through Manayunk and East Falls. We’ll have photographers and reporters out along the route to tell you about the scenes. (We also have a contributor running her first marathon, and she’ll tell you all about it!)
4. Mayoral-election season has quickly taken off across Philadelphia, with a slew of candidates formally throwing their names into the mix. Will state Rep. Dwight Evans of West Oak Lane soon join them? That’s what NewsWorks’ Holly Otterbein is looking into. Also, candidate Milton Street will take a 100-mile bike ride this weekend, and we’ll have a writer pedaling along for the ride.
5. The debate over where to locate the East Falls dog park has heated up in recent weeks. We’ll look into the dust-up over a proposed site along Kelly Drive near the Route 1 overpasses.
6. And finally, we’ll be seeking recommendations for our annual series highlighting unsung heroes across Northwest Philadelphia. (Hint: It involves schools). More details to come this upcoming week.