Pete DuPont’s solutions to turn the economy around

Former Delaware Governor Pete DuPont took to the Wall Street Journal along with Fox and Friends to offer his three simple solutions for bringing the economy around.

DuPont says the first goal was the recently passed tax cut. He writes those cuts should still be made permanent.  He also pushes the idea of a flat tax. 

His second goal is less government regulation.  DuPont says the best thing to come out of the November 2nd elections is that the Cap and Trade bill, which had passed the house, won’t pass the senate.  He says that bill would have regulated everything right down to snow mobiles.  He wrote in his Journal Op-Ed piece: “Getting rid of government mandates and subsidies–minimum ethanol usage, prevailing wage requirements, the inability to purchase health insurance across state lines, farm subsidies, and green energy subsidies, for example–is the next step. America needs to return to the market choices that individuals should have.”

DuPont says the third goal of the next Congress is to curb the newly passed health care legislation. DuPont writes it is imporant that Congress get involved in “amending ObamaCare to get the government out of health-care regulation”.  He says Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius issued a 136-page rule last week which calls price controls on health insurance. He came to the WHYY Wilmington studios to tell Fox and Friends that healthcare decisions should be left to invidual companies. 

  • WHYY thanks our sponsors — become a WHYY sponsor

He says the bill will take up $17% of the government’s budget.  He says the tremendous growth of government in the last two years needs to be stopped.  He says this is a golden opportunity for republicans to do something substantial.  He says if they don’t voters will know there would have been a missed opportunity.

DuPont says a Constitutional amendment controlling spending will be difficult because 75% of the states need to approve that.  He says in Delaware was put on a better fiscal course when the legislature implement his proposal that only 98% of the state’s budget could be spent.  The other 2% goes into the state’s rainy day fund.  There are a number of rules and regulations that must be followed to spend the money.  Past Governor’s in Delaware rarely touch that money because of those regulations.

DuPont conceeds the Repubican House and the Democratic Senate won’t agree on much, but he encourages the House to follow his suggestion to show they are able to do something to curb government spending. 

WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal