Kerosene heater suspected in deadly Philly blaze

City officials are renewing their warnings about use of kerosene heaters following a fatal fire in Southwest Philadelphia.

Authorities said the blaze was reported at about 10:30 p.m. Friday in a two-story home in the Kingsessing neighborhood.

Firefighters quickly got the flames under control but found the body of a man in an upstairs hallway.

Investigators said the home had no heat and the owner was using a kerosene heater to keep warm, and they believe that heater may have been responsible for the blaze.

Fire Commissioner Derrick Sawyer said kerosene heaters should be filled outside and should be placed at least three feet from anything that can burn.

Sawyer said the home had no working smoke detectors, and detectors are needed on every floor — especially near sleeping areas.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Help us get to 100% of our membership goal to support the reporters covering our region, the producers bringing you great local programs and the educators who teach all our children.