How to register your child for kindergarten in Philadelphia

     Kindergarten registration is officially open. Here's your guide to registering your child. (Courtesy of Jen Bradley)

    Kindergarten registration is officially open. Here's your guide to registering your child. (Courtesy of Jen Bradley)

    The first day of school for kindergarten may not be for another six months, but registration for the 2014-2015 school year in Philadelphia is officially open.

    The district-wide kindergarten open house is March 4, and Kindergarten Open House Week is May 12-16. Contact your local school for more information about Kindergarten Open Houses. Open Houses allow parents and children to preview the classrooms and get a feel for the school.

    To register for kindergarten, your child must turn 5 years old on or before Sept. 1, 2014. Six year olds who have not attended kindergarten are also eligible for kindergarten, but require a parent request letter in order to do so. The School District does not test children younger than five for early admission to kindergarten.

    To register your child, visit your neighborhood school and be sure to bring:

    Proof of your child’s age (one of the following)

    Birth certificate
    Baptismal certificate
    Prior school records
    Notarized statement of birthdate

    Immunization records (one of the following)

    Immunization record
    Notification from a former School District that immunizations are up-to-date

    Identification (one of the following)

    Current drivers license/non-drivers license
    Valid federal, state or municipal employment photo ID

    Proof of Residency (Any two of the following)

    Current utility bill (PECO, PGW, Water)
    Current voter’s registration
    Original rental agreement/leases (must be typed, signed by all parties and notarized)
    Residency affidavit signed by homeowner/tenant or landlord and notarized
    Other documents are also acceptable. Click here for complete list. 

    Foster care/childcare and DHS letters are also acceptable for registration when student is in the care of a foster/child care agency. Shelter placement or residency letters are also acceptable for homeless students.

    The required forms, application and home language survey, will be available at the school. Not sure which neighborhood school is yours? Click here to find out.

    Questions? Click here for more detailed information or call your neighborhood school. 

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal