Chester County issues warning about carbon monoxide

    The Chester County Fire Marshal’s Office issued a warning to residents this week regarding carbon monoxide poisoning in homes, according to a report in the Daily Local News.

    Chester County Fire Marshal Harrison Holt specifically cautioned residents about combustion engines within a home or attached garage. Running combustion engines, like from a car, can produce odorless carbon monoxide, which is referred to as a “silent killer,” Holt said.

    From 2000 to 2006 in Pennsylvania, 81 people died from carbon monoxide poisoning, the CDC reports. According to the CDC, studies show that 10 to 40 percent of survivors of severe carbon monoxide poisoning may suffer from long-term neurological problems.

    Holt said vehicles are not the only cause for concern. He said small combustible engines featured in snow blowers, lawn mowers, generators and fuel-fed tools can also generate the deadly gas. Holt warned residents to operate these types of items outside garages connected to homes.

    • WHYY thanks our sponsors — become a WHYY sponsor

    Holt advised residents to install carbon monoxide detectors on every level of a home, including basements and outside bedrooms.

    WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal