Chemical leak at New Jersey medical company leaves 17 hurt

Authorities say a chemical leak at a medical company in southern New Jersey has left 17 people injured.

The refrigerant leak happened Wednesday afternoon at Home Solutions Infusion Therapy in Hammonton.

Hammonton Police Chief Robert Jones tells the Press of Atlantic City that two of the injured were airlifted to hospitals.

Jones says emergency workers combed the building to make sure no one else is inside.

Worker Kim Valentine tells the newspaper that she smelled a chemical odor in the building before her throat became sore. Her eyes were red and swollen, and she said they stung.

Other employees said they were nauseated and had headaches.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.