Charges pending in Upper Darby carbon monoxide deaths

    The deaths of two Upper Darby men have been ruled accidents caused by carbon monoxide poisoning. Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood says the facts will be presented to the district attorney to determine whether the proprietor of the store below the men’s apartments will face charges.

    The Delaware County Daily Times reports the proprietor of Smart International Grocery Store was using a generator to power the store after electricity was cut off, despite warnings that improper ventilation would lead to CO2 poisoning.

    Chitwood said it took two hours after the discovery to return the building to a safe carbon monoxide level.

    • WHYY thanks our sponsors — become a WHYY sponsor

    WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal