Bill would ease changing birth certificate due to sex change

The requirements for getting an amended birth certificate due to a sex change would be eased under a bill being considered in the Assembly.

The chamber’s Human Services Committee approved the measure Thursday. It would authorize the state to amend birth certificates to show the sex and name of a person born in New Jersey has changed, if such a change is requested.

People must now furnish a certificate from a physician that he or she underwent sexual reassignment surgery to amend a birth certificate.

This measure allows a minor’s parents or guardian to apply for an amended certificate.

  • WHYY thanks our sponsors — become a WHYY sponsor

Gov. Chris Christie vetoed a similar bill in 2014.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal