A rescued Christmas: EMTs come to rescue for family who lost Swarthmore home in fire

    After a fire ripped through their Swarthmore business and home, it appeared a family of four would have little to celebrate this Christmas. But thanks to a group of EMTs, the family was able to have a Christmas after all.

    It started yesterday morning, when a fire destroyed the Countryside Deli. WPVI-TV says a home on the second floor above the 17-year-old business was also destroyed.

    All four members of the family managed to escape without any injuries, but still lost everything they owned.

    WPVI-TV says members of the Springfield Ambulance Emergency Management Team wanted to do something to help the family. Their work started with a comment posted on Facebook at 11:00 a.m., which suggested anyone willing to help could leave a donation at the station.

    • WHYY thanks our sponsors — become a WHYY sponsor

    The comment on Facebook quickly turned into donations of toys, clothes, gift cards and cash.

    WPVI-TV says EMTs dropped off the donated gifts at a home where the family was staying later that night.

    WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal