Here’s a look at stories NewsWorks will cover this upcoming week in Northwest Philadelphia…
1. Tuesday is Election Day! Among the contested races in Northwest Philadelphia are incumbent U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah vs. Republican challenger Armond James, incumbent state Rep. Pam DeLissio (D-194th) vs. challenger Bill Pounds and, vying for outgoing state Sen. Leanna Washington’s seat are Art Haywood (D), Robin Gilchrist (R) and Ines Reyes (an independent running on the one-candidate “Vote For Ines” slate). Oh, there’s a little matter of voters choosing between incumbent Gov. Tom Corbett and Democratic challenger Tom Wolf. We’ll be out at the polls and parties.
2. A trick-or-treat photo gallery from Friday afternoon/night’s Halloween activites? Yep, we’ll have that, too.
3. Can the MLK Cougars repeat as Public League football champs? They faced off against Frankford High in the first round of the PIAA AAAA playoffs on Friday night. We’ll have details from that (and the scores from other Northwest Philly games) early next week.
4. Hollywood Beauty Salon began as a place for clients at Germantown Recovery Center to learn about doing their hair and makeup. The center provides mental health and training services for those with severe mental illnesses, intellectual disabilities and addiction issues. Since 2011, filmmaker Glenn Holsten has been visiting weekly for a soon-to-be released documentary on the salon. Check back for more details.
5. Mt. Airy’s businesses are seeing a new face along Germantown Avenue these days. Mt Airy USA has hired Jamie Shanker as its new Commercial Corridor Revitalization and Business Association Manager. Shanker takes over the position which had been held by Elizabeth Moselle for eight years before she resigned this summer. Check back to learn more about Shanker and her plans for the avenue.
6. We will provide an update on the community-backed Houston School library, volunteer efforts there and a look at challenges the library faces — including a lack of heating. (The story was initially scheduled to run last week.)