For the last 12 years Dr. Carmen Febo San Miguel has run Taller Puertorriqueño, a Latino-centric arts and education nonprofit that’s been a cultural fixture in El Centro de Oro for 40 years. As part of our Streetviews video series, we sat down in Taller’s bookstore for a talk about neighborhood connectivity, educational and economic inequality, creating a more accessible city for new Philadelphians, and the mayor’s powerful bully pulpit.
- Carmen Febo San Miguel: Executive Director, Taller Puertorriqueño
- Work Neighborhood: North Philadelphia
- Home Neighborhood: Art Museum
- Philly in Three Words: Green. Pretty. Well-located.
- Local Hero: Benjamin Franklin, and much more recently, Johnny Irizarry, former director of Taller Puertorriqueno: “I admired his integrity, his hard work, and his purity of soul.”