The Philadelphia Streets Department announced Monday that it would begin resurfacing a score (and three) streets across Center City starting last night, including the pock-marked stretches surrounding Washington and Rittenhouse Squares.
Most of the work will occur at night. The streets will be milled, meaning the top layers of asphalt will be stripped off, starting at 7 PM. As this Streetsplainer explicates, there is usually a gap between milling and repaving. After milling, manholes will need to be inspected before the roads can be repaved with new asphalt and then repainted with new traffic lines.
Center City’s streets aren’t the only ones getting some work done. A complete list of Street Department projects for this week can be found here.
Center City residents and commuters who park on or near the following streets will have to deal with slightly longer walks to and from their cars while the work happens – keep an eye out for temporary “No Parking” signs – just in time for this awesome heat wave. But before you grumble and complain, remember two things: (1) you’ll be less likely to lose an axle on these newly smooth roads in just a few weeks, and (2) you’re not the poor guy (or gal) stuck pouring hot asphalt in this heat.
- 7th Street South Street to Washington Square
- Washington Square 6th Street to Washington Square West
- Washington Square Washington Square to Walnut Street
- 7th Street Washington Square to Market Street
- 2nd Street Race Street to Arch Street
- Race Street 2nd Street to S. Columbus Boulevard
- Ranstead Street 4th Street to 5th Street
- Ranstead Street 6th Street to 7th Street
- Juniper Street Race Street to Vine Street
- Clover Street 12th Street to 13th Street
- Ludlow Street 10th Street to 11th Street
- Latimer Street 15th Street to 16th Street
- Rittenhouse Square Walnut Street to S. Rittenhouse Square
- S. Rittenhouse Square Rittenhouse Square to 18th Street
- 19th Street S. Rittenhouse Square to Washington Avenue*
- 15th Street South Street to Washington Avenue*
- 16th Street Walnut Street to Washington Avenue*
- Lombard Street 13th to Broad Streets
- Appletree Street 10th Street to 11th Street
- Moravian Street 19th Street to 20th Street
- Kater Street 17th Street to Broad Street
- 13th Street Race Street to Vine Street
*CORRECTION: The original press release mistakenly wrote “Washington Square” instead of “Washington Avenue” and PlanPhilly repeated this error.