Small fire at seminary hosting pope was quickly put out

Church officials say a small fire overnight at the seminary where Pope Francis was staying was quickly extinguished and caused no injuries.

Archdiocese of Philadelphia spokesman Ken Gavin said the fire shortly late Saturday night “stemmed from a wiring issue in an elevator shaft in the kitchen” of the St. Charles Borromeo seminary just outside Philadelphia.

Gavin said Sunday there were no evacuations and Francis was in no danger.

It wasn’t immediately clear how close the kitchen is to the converted dormitory where the pope was staying.

Two nearby fire companies declined to say whether they responded, saying no official authorized to comment was available.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.