Shop failed electric inspection before boardwalk fire

 (Justin Auciello/Jersey Shore Hurricane News)

(Justin Auciello/Jersey Shore Hurricane News)

One of the stores on a New Jersey boardwalk that was destroyed by fire failed an electrical inspection after Superstorm Sandy.

Records obtained by the Asbury Park Press show Kohr’s Frozen Custard failed a rough inspection of its meter and electrical equipment. There’s no paperwork to indicate the ice cream shop received a certificate to have the power turned on.

The shop’s lawyer, Mark Antin, tells the newspaper his client believed it was the responsibility of his landlord to arrange any inspections.

The landlord owns an adjacent store which passed its inspection.

No one is blaming the failed inspection for the Sept. 12 blaze, which destroyed dozens of businesses along the boardwalk in Seaside Park and Seaside Heights.

Investigators determined the fire started in wiring under the boardwalk.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.