Challenge Alert

Lock in $15,000 with your donation by 6:30 p.m.

Donate now

Investigation surrounding deadly school fight in Wilmington continues

(Nichelle Polston/WHYY)

(Nichelle Polston/WHYY)

Wilmington Police say they are not in a position at this time to file charges in the school death of 16 year-old Amy Joyner-Francis.

On Friday, Wilmington Police Chief Bobby Cummings gave an updated statement and confirmed that weapons were not used in the fight at Howard High School last week.

“We’re working around the clock in full cooperation with the State of Delaware Attorney General’s office and the State of Delaware Division of Forensic Science,” Cummings said.

According to police, this is a vital investigation that includes a number of interviews, cellular data and forensic medical reports.

“All these pieces go into making a strong case,” said Cummings, who added that there are over 3,000 pages of data that must be reviewed as well.

Francis, who was a honor roll student, was killed after a fight turned deadly in a girls bathroom on April 21st.  The sophmore was airlifted to the hospital, where she died from her injuries.  At least three teenage girls were reportedly involved in the assault and have not been identified at this time.

 

 

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.