Girl Scout building gets top green rating

    A place where girl scouts gather for educational programs is the first building in Delaware to get top honors when it comes to going green.

    A place where girl scouts gather for educational programs is the first building in Delaware to get top honors when it comes to going green.

    GSCBC Science & Technology Lodge in Hockessin, DE
    GSCBC Science & Technology Lodge in Hockessin, Delaware

    The Girl Scouts of the Chesapeake Bay Council’s 5,000 square foot science and technology lodge in Hockessin has received the platinum certification for “Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design” or LEED.

    “By becoming one of only a few select buildings in the United States to cross this threshold for environmental quality, sustainability, and innovation, we hope to encourage others to pursue the highest standards of environmental stewardship,” Anne Hogan, CEO of the GSCBC, said.

    The lodge has more than two dozen environmentally friendly features including toilets, showers and faucets that reduce water usage by 40%.  Water is heated through solar thermal panels.

    The paints and sealants contain low volatile oganic compunds, and the insulation in the walls and floors is a soy based foam.

    The United States Green Building Council developed the internationally recognized certification system which considers efficiency in energy and water usage among other environmental factors.

    The $1.9 million lodge opened this past summer.  Private donors footed 80% of the cost, with the State of Delaware and area corporations and foundations picking up the remaining  20%.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.