Dover Air Force Base runway soon to be back at full capacity

 (AP Photo/Cliff Owen)

(AP Photo/Cliff Owen)

The Dover Air Force Base’s runway may still be undergoing renovations, but officials say takeoff and landing operations will soon be back at full capacity.

The Delaware State News reports that $98.3 million runway renovation is expected to fully conclude next spring. Officials said last week that they expect full operations to resume by late September.

Former base commander Col. Michael Grismer, who retired on Friday, says he expects the renovated runway to last for between 50 and 75 years, if it is maintained correctly.

Construction began on the runway in February 2015. The base is the Defense Department’s largest aerial port.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.