Dogs died after eating meatballs poisoned with pesticide

    Five dogs that died suddenly last month in New Jersey’s Cumberland County were poisoned, NBC Philadelphia reports. Tests indicate meatballs consumed by the dogs were deliberately mixed with an agricultural pesticide called Carbofuran.

    Bev Greco of the Cumberland County SPCA told the station the test results confirm it was no accident that claimed the lives of the family pets.

    The toxic pesticide was concealed in tennis ball-sized meatballs left along remote walking trails in Downe Township.

    State environmental authorities have joined local authorities in the investigation.

    Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

    It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.