Former Delaware deputy fire chief charged with raping 15-year-old girl

Dwayne Pearson, 39, allegedly raped the girl in July and August. He faces three felony counts.

A wide shot of a fire station with fire trucks parked in front of it.

Pearson was deputy chief at Belvedere Fire Company. (Courtesy of Belvedere Fire Company)

A former fire chief in Delaware faces charges that he repeatedly raped a 15-year-old girl this summer, state police said Friday.

Dwayne Pearson, 39, who has since left the volunteer Belvedere Fire Company southwest of Wilmington, turned himself into authorities Thursday. Pearson was arraigned and is being held in Howard Young Correctional Institution on $92,000 cash bond.

Police said they began investigating Pearson in September after receiving information that he had engaged in an “apparent sexual relationship” with the girl in July and August.

He faces three felony charges: second-degree rape, first-degree sexual abuse of a child by a person of trust, and second-degree unlawful sexual contact with a minor.

  • WHYY thanks our sponsors — become a WHYY sponsor

State police said they continue to investigate and that anyone with information “regarding additional criminal activity of Pearson” to call detectives at 302-365-8446, send a private Facebook message to Delaware State Police, or call Delaware Crime Stoppers at 800-847-3333.

If you or someone you know is a victim or witness of a crime or have lost a loved one to a sudden death and need assistance, the Delaware State Police Victim Services Unit/Delaware Victim Center offers resources and support 24 hours a day through a toll-free hotline at 1-800-VICTIM-1 (1-800-842-8461).

Get the WHYY app!

WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal