A 61-year-old woman is the state’s first confirmed case of influenza in Sussex County for the 2015-2016 flu season.
The Delaware Division of Public Health made the announcement Tuesday afternoon. State health officials said the woman is recovering at home after a visit to the emergency room.
“Flu is now confirmed statewide,” said Dr. Karyl Rattay, DPH director. “And, past experience shows that the number of lab-confirmed cases is smaller than the actual number of cases out there. Flu is here to stay this season and it’s a good time to get vaccinated, stay home when sick, and wash your hands frequently.”
“Sussex County was hit hard early in last year’s flu season, and almost all of those initial cases were infants, children, and young adults. Now is the time to protect your family and loved ones before flu cases increase,” Department of Health and Social Services Secretary Rita Landgraf said.
DPH urges all Delawareans 6 months of age and older who have not yet been vaccinated against the flu to get a vaccination as soon as possible. State health leaders also strongly encourage 19- to 49-year-olds, who they say often skip the flu shot, to get vaccinated.
Flu symptoms come on suddenly, and include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, headaches and body aches, and fatigue.
Delaware has a total of 5 lab-confirmed cases for 2015-2016 to date; two in New Castle County, two in Kent County and one in Sussex County.