You all know of the different weight loss programs and fitness instruction DVDs that are out there just waiting for us to use them. We get a little apprehensive to purchase anything because we do not know what actually works, and we know less about what is healthy for us to do or use.
Forbes has compiled a list of the ten healthiest sports it says can get you back in gear to lose weight and stay fit, the healthy way.
1. Squash – This sport helps to build muscle strength and endurance in the lower body. It also increased flexibility in the back and abdomen.
2. Rowing – This non-weight bearing sport is perfect for a total body exercise. It works wonders for cardiorespiratory health, muscular strength and endurance. Lean muscle can be built throughout.
3. Rock climbing – This indoor-outdoor sport is great for strength, endurance and flexibility throughout the body, while constantly building lean muscle. It does not do much to promote cardiorespiratory health.
4. Swimming – This total body sport, which directly impacts cardiorespiratory health and overall muscle endurance.
5. Cross-Country Skiing – This snow sport is a total-body workout that targets every large muscle group in the body. It also aids in increasing the rate in which the metabolism works, which greatly intensifies calorie burn.
6. Basketball – This popular sport works pretty much everything in the body, from the cardiorespiratory system to calorie burn to building strength and endurance.
7. Cycling – This sport has major benefits for cardiorespiratory health, body composition, and muscular endurance.
8. Running – This sport does great things for cardiorespiratory endurance.
9. Modern Pentathlon – This less trendier version of the triathlon offers cardiorespiratory benefits and tests flexibility and endurance.
10. Boxing – This combat sport is a jab for cardiorespiratory fitness and muscular endurance.