An estimated 4 million people visit the Rocky Statue every year. That’s more than double the amount that go to the Liberty Bell. Surprising for a monument that the city once rejected as merely a movie prop. We speak to people who wait in line to snap a picture or run up the Art Museum steps to find out what motivates this pilgrimage. Their surprising answers take us across the globe and range from quirky to deep.
- Laura Holzman’s book Contested Image: Defining Philadelphia for the Twenty-First Century.
- 6ABC News clips from the Temple University Libraries Digital Collections.
- Website for Steadicam inventor Garrett Brown.
- Learn more about Haseeb Payab’s journey from Afghanistan to Philly in this article from the Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Visiting the Rocky Statue and Art Museum Steps.
- The official Rocky Statue website.