Residents in the Kirkwood Highway area are being advised to boil their drinking water due to the potential for E. coli bacteria contamination.
A water main break along Kirkwood Highway Friday morning knocked out water service for hundreds of residents. Water crews expect to have the main repaired by this evening.
In the meantime, Newark warns residents in the area to boil their water because of a risk of E. coli contamination. The bacteria has the potential to make people sick, and is especially a concern for those with weakened immune systems.
Residents in the affected area should boil their drinking water for at least a minute, then let it cool before using. Bottled water could also be used. Tap water should not be used without being boiled for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes or food preparation.
Students at nearby Shue-Medill Middle School were dismissed at 9:30 a.m. due to the water main break.