Trial underway in 2012 death of off-duty Philadelphia police officer

 On July 15, 2012 off-duty police Officer Marc Brady was struck by a white 2000 Acura near this East Mount Airy intersection. (Brian Hickey/WHYY, file)

On July 15, 2012 off-duty police Officer Marc Brady was struck by a white 2000 Acura near this East Mount Airy intersection. (Brian Hickey/WHYY, file)

Two narratives, one deadly crash.

At trial Thursday afternoon, prosecuting and defense attorneys laid out opposing versions of what happened on July 15, 2012 — the night Philadelphia Police Officer Marc Brady lost his life.

Neither side disputes that Kareem Alleyne struck the off-duty cop with his car as Brady rode his mountain bike towards an ex-girlfriend’s home in Mt. Airy.

Both agree that the head-on collision between the two acquaintances was unintentional.

  • WHYY thanks our sponsors — become a WHYY sponsor

How the collision on Musgrave Street in East Mt. Airy unfolded, however, is completely different.

Opening statements

In his opening statement, Assistant District Attorney Mark Levenberg, who is prosecuting the case, argued that Alleyne, 37, had time to avoid Brady, 32, during “a game of chicken that went too far.”

He maintained that Alleyne saw Brady approaching his Acura TL well before the crash, but didn’t turn his car until it was already too late.

“It’s about disregarding an obvious risk of death,” said Levenberg.

James Funt, Alleyne’s attorney, countered that the entire episode was an accident and that his client only had seconds to try to avoid the crash.

He said that Brady, not Alleyne, was the reckless one who ultimately caused the fatal collision.

The impact fractured Brady’s skull, separated his pelvis and caused extensive internal bleeding, according to testimony.

He died at Albert Einstein Medical Center less than 30 minutes after being transported from the grisly scene.

The cause of death was “undetermined.”

‘Bad blood’

During their opening statements, Funt and Levenberg also spent time detailing the nature of the relationship between Brady and Alleyne.

Brady had six children with Romara Glenn, whom police said Alleyne was dating at the time of the incident.

The two had a history of “bad blood” as a result.

For months before his death, Funt said Brady harassed, stalked and threatened Alleyne.

One incident in October 2011 became the subject of an internal affairs complaint.

At 4 a.m., Brady banged on the front door of Alleyne’s East Germantown home wanting to speak with him and see Glenn.

Police were called to the scene, but the case was closed “without finding” due to Brady’s death.

Police had referred the case to the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office for potential prosecution on charges of stalking and harassment.

An internal affairs hearing had also been scheduled.

After months of torment, Funt argued that his client was looking forward to telling his story to police and had no interest in harming Brady.

“It could not come fast enough,” he said. “He was thrilled.”

Alleyne called 911 after the crash and waited there until police arrived.

He was arrested the next day.

Levenberg briefly outlined the pair’s history, but maintained that Brady’s relationship with Alleyne is irrelevant to the case.

“Only one of these [men] was driving a 2,000-pound vehicle that was capable of causing death and destruction,” said Levenberg.

What’s next

Testimony is expected to wrap up early next week.

Alleyne, who is out on bail, is charged with homicide by vehicle and involuntary manslaughter.

If convicted, he could be sentenced to 6 to 12 years in prison.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal