Here’s a look at stories we’ll be covering in Northwest Philadelphia in the upcoming week:
1. It’s a big year for professional-soccer fans. In mid-June, the World Cup returns. This time around, it’ll be held in Brazil. Players at Starfinders, a Manayunk-based youth-soccer program, will be among the thousands upon thousands upon thousands of spectators on hand. Check back next week to learn more.
2. For the past few years, staffers at Mifflin Elementary School in East Falls have worked hard to turn around the public school’s reputation. The effort has involved, in part, teaming up with nearby residents to spread the word about good things going on inside the school’s Conrad Street building. The school will host an open house for prospective parents and students on Tuesday. Check back next week for more details.
3. College graduation season is upon us. Seniors at Chestnut Hill College are scheduled to get their diplomas next week. NBC10 anchor and alum Tracy Davidson will deliver this year’s commencement speech. Check back next week to learn more.
4. The Manayunk bike race has been a fixture in Philadelphia and the neighborhood for nearly 30 years now. Though the event’s course and sponsors have changed recently, the impact on neighborhood businesses mostly hasn’t. In part two of our five-part series on the summer cycling tradition, we’ll explore the race’s relationship with Manayunk’s economy. Check back next week for more details.
5. The Ridge Avenue Car Show is back. The annual event will be held Saturday and showcase the kind of classic automobiles that cause pedestrians and driver’s to turn their heads. Check back next week to learn more.