Three more flu deaths in Delaware

(AP Photo/Evan Vucci

(AP Photo/Evan Vucci

In total, six people have died from flu related causes during Delaware’s 2015-16 flu season. That’s still way below last year’s deadly season when 28 people died from the flu.

 

Delaware’s flu activity is still considered widespread with 88 newly confirmed cases statewide, the majority of those in New Castle County. There have been 2,065 influenza laboratory-confirmed cases so far this flu season. That’s not much less than the 2,390 confirmed cases last season.

The Division of Public Health announced the latest deaths from influenza Wednesday. Those deaths include a 69-year-old woman and a 54-year-old man from New Castle County, and a 42-year-old woman from Sussex County. All three victims had underlying health conditions, and there was no evidence that any of them received a flu vaccine.

“The flu season is still not over, and taking precautions and recognizing symptoms of the flu are still important,” said DPH Director Dr. Karyl Rattay. “DPH is keeping our thoughts and prayers with the families and loved ones who lost someone to flu.” 

Rattay said state residents should remember the often repeated steps to prevent the spread of flu, including washing hands, covering coughs and sneezes, and staying home when sick.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.