Pennsylvanians are invited to share their ideas for highway planning during a series of public hearings to update the state’s 12-Year Transportation Program.
Updated every two years, the Transportation Program serves as a “blueprint” of prioritized transportation projects. The update is overseen by the 15-member State Transportation Commission, or STC, which includes the Transportation Secretary, 10 private citizens appointed by the governor, and the majority and minority chairs of the state Senate and House Transportation Committees.
PennDOT is required by law to prepare and submit to the STC a program of transportation improvements which it recommends be undertaken during the next 12 years, listing only those programs and projects that are reasonably expected to be funded.
The Department of Transportation and its 23 regional Planning Partners will administer the hearings on the following dates (specific start and end times will be set closer to the hearing dates):
· Thursday, Aug. 11: Ramada Altoona Conference Center, 1 Sheraton Drive, Altoona, PA 16601 (public hearing and business meeting).
· Thursday, Aug. 25: Marriott Pittsburgh North, 100 Cranberry Woods Drive, Cranberry Township, PA 16066.
· Friday, Aug. 26: Wyndham Gettysburg, 95 Presidential Circle, Gettysburg, PA 17325.
· Thursday, Sept. 15: Shawnee Inn, One River Road, Shawnee on Delaware, PA 18356.
· Friday, Sept. 16: Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission, 190 North Independence Mall West, Philadelphia, PA 19106.
Citizens planning to attend a hearing should contact the STC Office at 717-787-2913 at least 24 hours in advance. Anyone wishing to schedule a five-minute time slot to present oral testimony should contact the STC Office at least one week before the public hearing date.
In addition to oral testimony, residents can submit written testimony via email, fax, mail, or by completing the “Project Abstract Form” found at www.dot.state.pa.us. The department is willing to help residents complete the required abstract form.
Written testimony can be sent directly to STC via email at RA-PennDOTSTC@state.pa.us, faxed to 717-787-5247, or mailed to: State Transportation Commission, P.O. Box 3633, Harrisburg, PA 17105-3633. Written testimony is considered by STC in the same manner as testimony presented orally at the scheduled public hearings. All written testimony must be received by Sept. 30 to be considered for the 2013 Transportation Program.
For more information, visit www.dot.state.pa.us and click on the “Public Participation 2013 Program Update” hyperlink.