Shooting victim’s mother sues Philadelphia police

The mother of a man killed as he sat in a stolen car last year has filed suit against six Philadelphia police officers involved in his death.

Attorney Paul Hetznecker claimed police used excessive force Feb. 8, 2011, at 23rd and Susquehanna when Jamil Moses was shot and killed.

“Officers have given conflicting stories as to what has transpired, but essentially we have evidence that Jamil Moses had his hands up on the dashboard at the time he was shot and killed,” said Hetznecker. “There were approximately 60 rounds fired in the direction of the vehicle by six separate police officers.”

Carolyn Moses said she wants to find out why the shooting occurred.

“I felt like my son was murdered by the Philadelphia Police Department,” said Moses. “I felt it was my job, my duty. There’s nothing that he can do, this is something that I have to do.”

Because the investigation into the incident is continuing, a police representative Thursday refused comment on the suit.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.