Fire destroys landmark diner in Dover

 (Yelp photo)

(Yelp photo)

A weekend fire has destroyed the Kirby and Holloway Family Restaurant in Dover.

More than 50 firefighters were called to the landmark diner on N. Dupont Highway just after 1 a.m. Sunday, battling flames until 6 a.m. Dover Fire Chief Matthew Carey says the fire is to blame for more than a million dollars worth of damage. 

The Delaware Fire Marshal’s office says faulty electrical wiring caused the accidental fire. A spokesman says the fire began in the kitchen area in old wiring that was behind the walls.   

The majority of reviews on Trip Advisor rated the restaurant as ‘very good,’ with most diners commenting positively about the food, the prices and family-friendly atmosphere.

Sen. Tom Carper, D-Del, says the first time he visited Kirby and Holloway was when he was running for state treasurer.

“I’ve been there many times since as treasurer, congressman, governor and senator and always had a great time,” he said. “This is a great loss not just for Dover but for our whole state. Fortunately, we know they’ll come back stronger than ever and we will be there to celebrate.”

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.