Fire destroys Delaware home days before Christmas

Fire officials say a man was injured in a house fire in Newark.

The fire was reported about 10 a.m. Monday on Edjil Drive, according to a news release from the Office of the State Fire Marshal. Officials say a man was taken to a hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, and seven residents were displaced.

The Fire Marshal’s Office says the blaze was caused by a space heater igniting combustible materials.

Officials say there were no smoke alarms in the house.

 

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.