Celebrate Fall on Philadelphia Orchard Day, 10/27
The Philadelphia Orchard Project (POP) is continuing to grow at a rapid clip, and this Saturday is an opportunity for volunteers to help plant perennials, fruit and nut trees in neighborhood orchards citywide.
This Saturday, POP will celebrate the second annual Philadelphia Orchard Day, by encouraging Philadelphians to explore the places food is being produced in the city. POP’s community partners will host tours, plantings, and fall harvest celebrations at different orchard sites you’re invited to participate. Here are POP’s details for different Orchard Day events citywide. (Ones marked with an * will involve opportunities to volunteer.):
- Overbrook Environmental Education Center, 6134 Lancaster Ave, 9am-4pm Celebrate Orchard Day with a Pumpkinpalooza at the Overbrook Enivonmental Education Center! Event includes pumpkin painting, scavenger hunts, greenhouse planting, and info and resources from a wide range of community organizations. 9am-4pm.
- *Woodford Apple Festival, NW of 33rd & Dauphin, 10am Join us for this fun community celebration of the fall harvest with ciderpressing, heirloom apple tasting, apple dessert contest, pumpkin painting, and tours of the orchard and historic Woodford! Early comers get to help with mulching, weeding, and planting new trees and groundcovers! Event in collaboration with the East Park Revitalization Alliance, Woodford, and Parks & Rec. RAINDATE: Sunday, 10/28 @ 10am
- *Belmont, Ogden St & Preston St, 10am Get a tour of the Preston’s Paradise collection of edible food spaces in the Belmont neighborhood of West Philly. We’ll be working with partners from Autism Living and Working, and Calvary Church to prepare their orchards and gardens for fall.
- *T4G Poplar, 8th & Poplar, 10am-2pm. Join Teens4Good and POP for an orchard workday and harvest festival! Help maintain our orchard and perennial gardens, plant new fruit trees, learn about perennial herbs, and enjoy refreshments and crafts for kids and adults. Refreshments provided, potluck optional.
- *Weavers Way Farm, Awbury Arboretum 1oam-1pm. Help out with preparing the ground for our newest orchard project, a demonstration food forest in partnership with Awbury Arboretum and Weavers Way Farm. Supported by the Harlon’s Fund of the Philadelphia Foundation. [Directions]
- *Fairhill Burial Ground, 9th & Indiana St, 11am-6pm Neighborhood orchard & garden clean-up starting at 11am, community potluck at 1pm, then pumpkin painting, s’more making & children’s activities! A partnership with Fairhill Burial Ground, Philly Food Forests, Occupy Vacant Lots, Broad St Ministries, and POP.
- Grumblethorpe, 5267 Germantown Ave, 12-3pm. Celebrate Orchard Day at Old Grumblethorpe! Activities include cider pressing, apple tasting, and tours of the farm, orchard, and historic house. Help plant a new plum tree, berry bushes, and perennials.
- Village of Arts and Humanities, N. Warnock St & W. Cumberland St, 12-2pm. Enjoy caramel apples, cider-pressing, and old fashioned kids games on Orchard Day at the Village of Arts & Humanities! See their fantastic new garden and orchard site in a North Philly neighborhood they’ve been transforming with art for decades. Co-hosted by the Village, PhillyEarth, and POP.
- South Philly, 2011 S. 8th St, 12-4pm. Tour the South Philly Teen Orchard and enjoy apple tasting, cider, and pumpking painting.
RSVP to individual events online.
View Philadelphia Orchard Project Map in a larger map
WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.