Three families have been forced from their homes after a car struck a gas line and set fire to a row of townhomes.
The incident happened around 1:15 Monday afternoon, when 67-year-old Bharat Kothari struck the natural gas main with his vehicle in the community of Green Valley near Newark.
According to the Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office, the gas began to leak and caught the vehicle on fire. The fire quickly spread to multiple attached homes located near the gas main.
One resident was transported to Christiana Hospital for smoke inhalation. A family dog was also treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.
Damage is estimated at $300,000. One displaced family is receiving assistance from the Delmarva Chapter of the American Red Cross. Other residents are staying with friends or family.
Police have cited Kothari with inattentive driving.