Does Dark Matter… Matter?

(Photo Credit:

Dark matter may matter a lot more than one would think. The universe is composed of regular matter that we can see and dark matter and dark energy that we can’t see. The stuff we actually see when we look out into the universe is only 3.6 –4%  of what’s really out there. The other 96% of all the mass energy of the universe is dark matter and dark energy. We can’t see it, because it doesn’t radiate in the electro magnetic spectrum, so it can’t be detected.  Sound like science fiction? You decide on this week’s Sky Talk.[audio: st20110815.mp3]

WHYY is your source for fact-based, in-depth journalism and information. As a nonprofit organization, we rely on financial support from readers like you. Please give today.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Together we can reach 100% of WHYY’s fiscal year goal