Two dead, five injured in Frankford fire

By Shannon McDonald

An early morning fire in Frankford on Saturday left two people dead, one a 7-year-old boy. The flames broke out around 6 a.m. when a resident of the three-story home on the 43oo-block of Leiper Street was cooking and failed to turn a burner off.

The fire department was called at 7:30 a.m., and was under control 30 minutes later. But not before a woman and a young boy died. Five others, including a 1 -year-old, were taken to the hospital with injuries, and are expected to recover.

Investigators said the house – which was home to eight relatives – only had one smoke alarm with  no batteries.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

It will take 126,000 members this year for great news and programs to thrive. Help us get to 100% of the goal.