By Shannon McDonald
An early morning fire in Frankford on Saturday left two people dead, one a 7-year-old boy. The flames broke out around 6 a.m. when a resident of the three-story home on the 43oo-block of Leiper Street was cooking and failed to turn a burner off.
The fire department was called at 7:30 a.m., and was under control 30 minutes later. But not before a woman and a young boy died. Five others, including a 1 -year-old, were taken to the hospital with injuries, and are expected to recover.
Investigators said the house – which was home to eight relatives – only had one smoke alarm with no batteries.