This week, NewsWorks brings you our 50 favorite pictures that appeared on the Northwest Philadelphia pages during 2012.
Think we missed any? Agree or disagree with our unscientific rankings?
Please let us know in the comments or via email (with “Top 50 Photos” in the subject line) and we’ll check out your suggestions.
50. “Pet-A-Palooza a marketing hit for Weavers Way’s pet store” (June 3). Aunt Jane is an English Mastiff who is the unofficial mascot for Wissahickon Pet Minders. Owner Mike Steinbrecher explained that Aunt Jane was named for an aunt who hated dogs. (Jana Shea/for NewsWorks)
49. “For three recent weeks, Northwest Philly was the deadliest section of the city” (March 7). Walking past the club where a 30-year-old West Oak Lane man was killed when an apparent altercation turned into a fatal shooting. (Brad Larrison/for NewsWorks)
48. “Twelve visitors from Michigan embrace ‘contextual ministry’ in NW Philly” (June 27). Heidi Deneuse pulls weeds at Weavers Way Co-op’s urban farm in Germantown. Deneuse came from for the Michigan as part of Germantown First Presbyterian’s Urban Immersion Program. (Brad Larrison/for NewsWorks)
47. “Checking in at the polls in NW Philadelphia” (April 24). A group of people plastered Jewel Williams signs outside of Mifflin Elementary with stickers reading “Scam” (Brian Hickey/WHYY)
46. “Did you take pictures of Thursday night’s storm? We’d love to see them [Video]” (July 26). After a day of intense heat, dark clouds rolled in over Mt. Airy. (Bas Slabbers/for NewsWorks)
45. “A strong turnout at the polls in Northwest Philadelphia” (Nov. 6). A cardboard cutout of President Obama kept watch outside of Fire Engine #37 in Chestnut Hill Tuesday. (Brad Larrison/ for NewsWorks)
44. “Honoring fallen soldiers at Laurel Hill Cemetery” (May 28). Matt Piette, of the 71st Pennsylvania Infantry Volunteers, inspects his musket before beginning the traditional Decoration Day service of the Grand Army Meade Post #1 at Laurel Hill Cemetery in East Falls. (Brad Larrison/for NewsWorks)
43. “Penn Charter marks 126th football game against Germantown Academy with 35-7 victory” (Nov. 12). Penn Charter’s Mike McGlinchey (#44) and Eric Neefe (#5) hold the cup. (Bas Slabbers/for NewsWorks)
42. “Woman charged with DUI after crashing into a 39th Police District van” (July 5). A 39th Police District officer was taken to the hospital early Thursday morning following a car accident in Nicetown. (Bas Slabbers/for NewsWorks)
41. “New year, new superintendent, new challenges for Philly schools” (Sept. 7) Students on their way to what could be the last first day of school at Germantown High if the School District of Philadelphia goes forward with its latest closure/consolidation plan. (Brad Larrison/For NewsWorks)