Over at The Next Mayor, the Daily News‘ Wendy Ruderman caught up with Jane Slusser and Lauren Hitt, respectively the campaign manager and communications director for Jim Kenney’s mayoral bid. They peeled back the curtain on the nuances of a successful primary run.
It’s an interesting read for a summer season during which political news takes a siesta of sorts. You can check the whole story via this link.
What follows are five quotes that jumped off the iPhone screen at me when reading it Thursday morning. They’re presented without context because, real talk, they’re more fun that way.
1. “We went down to [Los Caballitos, at Passyunk Avenue and Morris Street in South Philly], and had a lot of tequila and a lot of margaritas. And then we woke up bright and early the next day to go meet Jim, and so in addition to the emotional exhaustion, we might have been a little hung over.” — Slusser
2. “I realized, too, that the media had a certain tolerance for his shenanigans. It was like, ‘Oh, ha, ha, Jim,’ and not, ‘Oh my God, like, you are horrible.'” — Hitt
3. “Any man who acts [as if] women are just inferior, and can’t do this or can’t do that, is really just an idiot. I followed direction, after bitching.” — Kenney
4. “I totally just bawled him out and I treated him like a kid and I put him in timeout.” — Slusser
5. “You know how tennis players have tennis elbow? Jim has politician’s hand.” — Hitt