Sussex fires investigated

Investigators are looking into three separate fires in three consecutive days that have caused thousands in damage.

The first fire was the result of a discarded cigarette on the back deck of a home in Laurel. That fire caused $80,000 in damage. The second fire happened on Sunday near Seaford. That fire was caused by an electrical malfunction and resulted in $5,000 in damage. The third blaze happened early Monday near Lewes when combustible materials were left too close to an electric heater.

Want a digest of WHYY’s programs, events & stories? Sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Help us get to 100% of our membership goal to support the reporters covering our region, the producers bringing you great local programs and the educators who teach all our children.